Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Love My Hair...too!


Well, it's no coincidence that Arianna smiles every time she sees the Sesame Street video - "I Love My Hair". This video, I believe, represents all things Montessori. I'm still a novice, but I wouldn't doubt that Maria Montessori would disagree with my passion for Arianna to love her natural hair. It's tough to grow up in a society that tells little girls they cannot be pretty unless they have long flowing hair down to their elbows. What do the girls think when they see Mommy's hair isn't like that? My hair is longer than average, but 99% of the year, it's up in a pony tail. So, am I doing a disservice by not supporting this "faux" long hair movement? No way.

Before last month, I was struggling to get Arianna's hair to grow; especially around the crown of her head. I had no idea that I should be applying nourishment oil to her scalp. Nor was I aware of the dangers of products with petroleum jelly and mineral oil. The same friend - Dr. C. James - that introduced me to the Montessori method, is my source for great hair products for growing healthy African American hair. Oh my goodness, you should see her daughter's hair. It will make you quote, "Repunzel, Repunzel! Let down your hair!"



So, I'd like to use this blog to post the products that I use on Arianna's hair; followed by pics of her wearing a beautiful baby afro:)

1.  Tui Herbal Shampoo by Carole's Daughter  - I wash her hair once a week. Usually on Saturday's before Sunday's Church Service. For those that don't know - it's an African American ritual.


2. Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner by Jane Carter Solutions - You can purchase her products at Target, too. I love this conditioner!!!


 3. Scalp Nourishing Serum by Jane Carter Solution - The label says to use 3 to 4 times a week. I use it about 2 to 3 times a week on Arianna. But I definitely use this immediately after the leave in conditioner.


4. Some of Marguerite's Magic by Carole's Daughter - I use this just about every day. First, I wet her hair, apply the cream, then wet comb before combing through. And the product last a really long time. Great deal!


5. Nourish and Shine by Jane Carter Solutions - This is actually a butter type substance that can be used on the hair and body. It's the most expensive item, so I use it sparingly. I definitely use it to lay down her edges. First, apply a little water, smear a tiny amount onto crown, then brush (with baby brush) down into a pony tail.


So, some may not believe me when I say Arianna's hair has done a 360. Below is a pic just 5 weeks before hearing about these wonderful products (all made by women of color, too!)

NOTE: ***Click the pics for zoom

BEFORE....


AFTER....taken a couple weeks ago.


Taken last week:




Here are two extra pics: one with her best buddy and today's baby afro pose



5 comments:

  1. Melanie just showed me the I Love My Hair video.....too cute. The last picture with all her hair out is soo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's awesome. I have that shampoo and it is the one product I love for my hair. I will have to try some of the others since I can't find a good solution for the rest of my hair care. Thank you for sharing, especially the before and after pics! Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh... she is so cute! I LOVE her hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! School has really got me busy; not to forget keeping up with Arianna's schedule. I must testify that while on vacation I did not keep up with the regime and I could tell within one week. So I immediately got back to what works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i am just loving the last picture! she is just soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete